Choose The Right Kitchen Island
A kitchen island can add value, space, and style to your kitchen. Learn here how to find the perfect kitchen island for you.
Besides improving the look of the kitchen, an island will greatly increase the storage space. According to the definition, a kitchen island is a free workbench that usually arises in the center of the work triangle in your kitchen. At its peak, a kitchen island is a bench equipped with a sink, glass-ceramic plate, small appliances and even with dining area. At the bottom is all the storage space.
If you ever found yourself thinking that you need more space in your kitchen, then one island could be the perfect solution for you. Here are some tips to keep in mind when planning your kitchen island.
Space and Logistics
While most kitchens benefit from additional storage space that an island provides, not all kitchens benefit. Install a small island in the kitchen which in itself is small will cause more problems than it had initially. If your kitchen is small, then consider a renewal of its cabinets and countertops.
An island can be humble or ambitious. Think about your needs.
You want more space to prepare food?
If you only need an extra bench, opt for a minimalist solution in stainless steel or wood. The space under the worktop can be used for storage or you can choose to incorporate a one-second dishwasher or a microwave oven.
You want to increase your storage space?
Opt for a solution of cabinets. Mix several modules, with a door, no door, with drawers, etc…
You want to create a social space for meals?
Opt for a large kitchen island. Some models have a bench split in two height levels to easily separate the food preparation area of the dining area. This solution is great for when you have guests at home. You can socialize with your guests while preparing the meal.
Does your kitchen island has to be equal to your kitchen cabinets? Definitely not! Just think about finding something similar in style to the decor already in your kitchen. Your imagination is the limit. Sometimes you can even adopt a style of “old” versus “new” and choose a kitchen island with a completely different style of your cabinets.
Choose the Bench
To Kitchen Islands for Storage
The benches of the islands are heavily used so always opt for durable with granites and marbles. The currents can also be a solution but its durability at high temperatures is not as great as the other stones.
Laminates can also be used. They are cheaper than natural stone but the durability is less.
For Movable kitchen islands
In these cases, you buy a piece as a whole and it is not normal to have the chance to choose the countertop material. The wood pieces are very good but over time become worn and with nicks. Stainless steel does not require much maintenance, is durable and can be a very nice solution in modern kitchens.
DIY vs. Professional Installation
If you’re ready to invest in a kitchen island so it is advisable to first consult an interior designer who can advise on the details.
Free consultations are common in large houses of DIY. Choose one.
Your designer can also elucidate whether your project can be done by you or if you need a professional installation. If your kitchen island is going to have a sink or any appliance, then you will need a professional to do it.
DIY lovers should be limited to small projects only islands for storage and workbench. If your kitchen floor is not level, then call a professional. A kitchen island is a danger if not level.
Also, keep in mind that installing a kitchen island, you will need to redesign the electrical system of the room.
And while we are on this topic, here I will add an example of how to choose a kitchen island. Hope it can help you in deciding your next island should you want one in your kitchen.
Choosing Stainless Kitchen Islands
Choose the best Stainless Kitchen Islands
You might have noticed during a family dinner, party or a get-together, when a large number of dishes are to be prepared in the kitchen, you often run out of space. This could be because you do not have kitchen islands or carts in your kitchen.
Low storage space in the kitchen can turn out to be problematic when you are preparing a large family meal. You will always need some additional space at such times for either storing the cooked dishes or for mixing and sorting the ingredients while preparing. This is where stainless kitchen islands come to the rescue.
Stainless kitchen islands can serve you more than just transporting your dishes from the kitchen to the dining room. You will realize this when you actually have one in your kitchen because the user feed-back suggests the following uses they have in the kitchen:
1. They come very handy for storing prepared dishes which take up a lot of space in the kitchen. You can just place them on stainless kitchen islands and save a lot of your kitchen space for doing the rest of your chores. If you buy double shelved stainless kitchen islands then you can store cooked dishes on the lower shelf, while you save the upper shelf for doing more work in and around the kitchen.
2. You can also get a mobile kitchen cart with wheels at the bottom so that you can move it from place to place according to your needs. The best way to use it is by locking its wheels so that the kitchen cart stays in one place and you can use the tabletop for cutting or mixing ingredients. You can then move the cart to transfer the ingredients easily into the oven.
3. Often you have to add spices or do some seasoning to your dishes as a last-minute preparation on the serving table. Instead of bending down every time to find out where the ingredients are kept in the kitchen cart, you can buy stainless kitchen islands with extra shelves on top. Here you can keep your cutlery as well as spice racks so that you would not have to bend down anymore to reach them.
4. The stainless kitchen islands are sturdy and long-lasting and do not require much maintenance. Also due to the fact that they are made of stainless steel, they remain glossy and polished for quite some time if not used roughly. All you have to do for its maintenance is wipe clean the kitchen cart with warm soapy water, in case you spill oily food on it.
In case you are planning to renovate your kitchen to add some extra space and shelves for additional working space, then it is suggested that you save costs and invest it in one of the stainless kitchen islands. These work out cheaper and will provide you the required space at the required time, as well as lasting longer without any maintenance.
Our articles on this topic:
- Kitchen Island Ideas
- Kitchen Island Furniture
- Islands for Small Kitchen
- How to Choose a Kitchen Island
- Kitchen Islands – Functions and Styles