Why Choose Granite Kitchen Countertops?
When you design your own kitchen, the cost of granite countertops may seem prohibitively high. However, once you consider the attractiveness of granite countertops colors and the value these will add to your property, you may decide that it is worth your while to save up for them.
In spite of the cost of granite countertops, you won’t need any salesman talk to convince you that this remains one of the most beautiful kitchen design options on earth! It is very easy to decide that your kitchen will only really be finished off when this natural stone becomes part of your kitchen island plans, ready to dazzle everyone entering your cooking domain.
Why is it that folks manage to shift their attention almost instantly from the cost of granite countertops to the colors and feel?
Benefits of Granite Kitchen Countertop
– This is a natural stone that is extremely hard and you can choose from a huge range of granite kitchen countertop colors.
– Being so highly heat resistant, this is a practical option that allows for all the usual kitchen activities. Although it is just sensible to make use of trivets or to take other protective measures, hot pots and pans are unlikely to damage your kitchen islands.
– This is an option that is resistant to scratching, blistering and chipping. If you do have a serious mishap that leads to damage, it is generally possible to do repairs, but this can be somewhat expensive.
– Provided that the counters have been properly sealed, your granite countertops colors probably won’t show stains. Unfortunately, the sealing process must be repeated from time to time. As far as this is concerned, Silestone countertops and Dupont Zodiaq countertops are lower in maintenance, as no sealing is required.
– Granite is also mold and mildew resistant, making it a hygienic food preparation surface. Silestone and Zodiaq countertops are even better in this regard, due to being non-porous.
– Granite, being natural stone and thus long-lasting, can be expensive. The cost of granite countertops range from $60 up to $400 per square meter, especially if you have to make use of the services of a contractor. Luckily more and more countertop kits are now becoming available that are suitable for a do-it-yourself job. This can save a bundle, but make sure that you can handle it before taking the plunge. In the end, the value added to your property may make the expense very worthwhile.
– One of the main benefits of this stone is the variety of granite countertop colors you can choose from when you design your own kitchen. And no two slabs are alike, so you will get a unique-looking kitchen, even if you choose the same shade as a neighbor.
You can also go for a polished look or a matte and textured appearance. The brilliance of the polished look shouldn’t fade over time. The cost of the granite countertops will depend on the origin, the thickness of the slabs, the size, as well as the patterning and veins.
– With a bit of shopping around, you may get to discount prices that will cut the cost of your granite countertops. However, make sure that you purchase from a reputable dealer and that you get adequate references for the contractor you decide to engage.
In the end, your granite countertops colors will give you pleasure for many years, while the cost will in most cases be offset in terms of a higher property value.
Tips on Buying Granite Countertops
Granite countertops can give a sleek, elegant stylish and rich look to your home. Its maintenance is low and it can be polished and cleaned very easily. Granite slabs do not change color. This is one reason why granite countertops never look old or dull. Granite countertop prices vary from supplier to supplier. However, it is a one-time investment since the granite can be maintained easily by just polishing and cleaning the surface. The +cost of installing a granite countertop in your home can be quite high and there are some points you need to consider while buying granite slabs.
Granite countertops are normally priced in the range of USD 60 to USD 180. Some suppliers may also charge USD 10 to USD 30 per square feet for installing the countertop. Installation of the granite countertop includes cutting, polishing and cementing of the slab. It may cost up to USD 1500 to install an average-sized granite countertop. Granite countertop prices also depend on the finishing of the slab used. This article discusses some tips that you should keep in mind while buying granite countertops for your home.
Price of Granite Kitchen Countertop Aspects
Rarity of the granite
Granite countertop prices are determined based upon their rarity. The rare types of granite slabs may be placed in group A. So the price of granite countertops from group A would be much higher than those in groups B or C.
Classification of granite
Price of the granite slab that you are purchasing depends on its classification. The classification of granite is largely based on its looks and appearance and factors like color, country of origin, patterns, thickness, etc. A slab having inconsistencies in looks may be priced lower and a granite slab with more consistent looks may be priced more.
Second-hand granite slabs
While making the decision about the purchase of granite countertops, you have the option of buying brand new granite slabs for your home or second-hand granite slabs. Second hand or used granite slabs can be bought at a much cheaper rate than new ones. If you are on a tight budget, you may opt for used granite countertops. These second-hand granite slabs can be found with any scrap dealer. Sometimes, granite suppliers also keep second hand or used granite slabs. Buying these granite slabs can help you save a lot of money.
Granite Kitchen Countertop Maintenance
Non-granite friendly substances
Granite is a sturdy rock and cannot be damaged easily. However, substances like wine, mustard, vinegar, bleach, oils, lemon, ammonia and other acidic chemicals can damage the countertop by chemically altering its composition or discoloring it.
Cleaning the granite countertop
Granite countertops are easy to clean. They can be wiped clean with a wet cloth or sponge and a mild soap. Special stone cleaners or marble cleaners are available and are sometimes available with the dealer who suppliers the granite countertop. Harsh chemicals or cleaners should not be used to polish the surface. You can also use an old toothbrush to scrub off any stubborn stains.
No two slabs are the same
One major disadvantage of granite countertops is that no two granite countertops are exactly the same. In case your granite countertop breaks or gets damaged in any other way, it is extremely difficult to get a replacement which is exactly the same.
Applying a sealant on the countertop after application can help protect the granite from damage for a longer period of time. Unnecessary weight should not be applied on the slab or on its edges since it may crack or damage its edges.
Investing in a granite countertop is not as expensive as it used to be. You should make sure you have done thorough research and taken opinions from two to three granite dealers before you make the purchase. Purchasing granite from a well-known dealer can ensure the reliability of the service provided to you. Some suppliers may also give you the contacts of their previous customers. Talking to one or two of these customers can also help you make your decision.
Install Granite Countertops Yourself
It is a great idea for you to learn how to install granite countertops. Your home will become even more beautiful than it already is.
It is quite expensive to purchase granite, so you’ll definitely want to take extra special care in the installation process.
The great thing about granite countertops is that they are incredibly long-lasting. They are resistant to all kinds of damage, so you can feel confident having them in your home.
The process as a whole will involve taking the old countertops off and putting your new granite version in. It sounds easy, but you must measure everything exactly and follow manufacturers’ installation instructions to a T.
Before you get to measuring, you can make it a special treat to select your colors. These come in many different colors to match the overall look and feel of your home.
When many people think of granite, they imagine just a dark grey. That is not always the case when you’re out to install your own granite countertops.
Many experts recommend putting plywood down before installing your granite. If you’re wondering how to install granite countertops in the best way possible, it is a great idea to listen to that advice.
Putting the plywood down will help to support the granite in the easiest way possible.
You can even glue the granite countertop slabs onto the plywood using liquid nails or Bondo adhesive. This method makes it easy to make the different slabs level.
Always keep in mind that you will probably have seams in your granite countertop installation. This makes it easy to lay the slabs down in a way that works well for your kitchen.
The most important thing to keep in mind is that you always have to measure repeatedly. If you don’t follow the manufacturer’s directions exactly or make hasty decisions, you’re likely to end up with a very poor installation.
Adding granite countertops to your home is a great way to make a classy change for the better. Friends and family will be so impressed with the look of it that they’ll wonder which professional you hired.
When you get your granite countertop order, the manufacturer will have detailed instructions on how to install granite. Consider the special circumstances in your kitchen area in order to make the installation the best it can be.
How To Clean Granite Kitchen Countertops
Are you unsure of how to clean granite countertops that you already have in your home? Or are you thinking about making a purchase that will brighten up your home? This article will provide a few great steps and tips to cleaning your granite countertops.
Granite is a collection of hard minerals which fuse together below the earth’s surface. It is expensive but durable and beautiful. Being scratch-resistant and not easily damaged otherwise, granite countertops could also increase the value of your home. But be careful! Granite is usually damaged, not by stains or scratches, but by improper cleaning methods.
Here are a few steps on how to clean granite countertops in a “sticky” situation:
Clean Granite Countertops Tips
1. Never wipe up a mess, always use a blotting technique. This will prevent staining and spreading.
2. Regular cleaning can be accomplished with stone soap, which can be found at your local hardware store.
3. To remove coffee or tea stains, you might need to do a little more. Use a good amount of hydrogen peroxide and 2 or 3 drops of household ammonia.
4. To clean up an oil stain, mix flour and hydrogen peroxide and cover the stain with it. Seal the solution with plastic wrap over the stain.
5. Let it sit for 8 hours. Then, remove the plastic wrap and scrape away remnants of the solution using a wooden utensil that will not scratch the granite. This helps the stain rise to the surface to make it easier to clean.
6. Repeat as many times as necessary.
7. An ink stain can be removed with nail polish remover.
8. Do not use cleaning products or tools that can damage your counter. These include but are not limited to steel wool, scouring pads, scouring powders, vinegar, lemon, orange, grout cleaners or anything else acidic.
9. Always dry granite countertops with a soft material after cleaning.
10. If you damage your counter or have a stain that you can’t seem to remove, get help from a professional.
11. It is necessary to reseal granite countertops every one or two years.
If You Do Use A Granite Cleaner, Read This!
The above steps are for households that do not own a specialized granite cleaner. Many people do not want to purchase a granite cleaner because they can be expensive. However, if you purchase one of these cleaners the process will be a lot faster and less differentiated.
Cleaning Granite Countertops Tips With Granite Cleaner
1. Spray granite cleaner lightly over the affected area.
2. Let sit for 30 seconds.
3. Scrub clean with a soft sponge.
4. Complete the process by drying the surface with a soft material.
A Few More Tips!
Clearly, cleaning granite countertops isn’t too tricky if you know what to do. Most companies or real estate agencies will provide information on how to clean and care for the various materials in your house. Here are a few more tips that they might give you when it comes to cleaning:
Common But Useful Tips
1. Blot spills immediately. Don’t wait too long or else they could stain.
2. Always use a soft material for cleaning procedures.
3. Dish soap is not recommended, as it could etch your granite countertops and even detract from its shine. Use a stone cleaner.
4. Use coasters for drinks.
5. Protect the countertops from strong heat. It is not likely for granite do be damaged by heat, but it is possible for “thermal shock” to occur, which causes the granite to crack. Just to be safe, use a hot pad under your pots and pans.
6. Do not use the granite surface as a cutting board. This precaution is to protect both the granite and your knives.
7. Do not use generic cleaners like bleach, vinegar, or citrus. These are usually acidic and can etch granite.
8. Do not put to much weight on your countertops. Granite is not flexible and is not supported by anything underneath it. This means no sitting or standing on countertops.
9. Try not to place toiletry items on or near granite countertops. hair products, cologne, perfume, lotions, creams and nail products can spill and damage the surface.
This should give you all the information you need to know about your granite countertops and how to take care of them. Enjoy!